Orekit Python Wrapper 11.3.2 released

Hi,

The 11.3.2 version of the orekit python wrapper is now released and should be available on the conda-forge channel in short. No changes on the python side, besides the ones for the main orekit update.

Unfortionately there is still issues with the CI build of the osx version. Some have been successful building it locally from the orekit-feedstock repository on github. I think it is related to the architecures, building on new M1/M2 architectures.

Regards
/Petrus

Hello Petrus,

Thank you for the new release. I encounter some issues when I try installing this version using conda, as follows:

conda install -c conda-forge orekit
Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: - 
The environment is inconsistent, please check the package plan carefully
The following packages are causing the inconsistency:

- <unknown>/linux-64::orekit==11.3.2=py38h8dc9893_0
failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will retry with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: ...

I tried as well using an older version, like I saw in some older discussion here on the forum but the results were the following:

conda install -c "conda-forge/label/cf202003" orekitCollecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will retry with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: | 
Found conflicts! Looking for incompatible packages.
This can take several minutes.  Press CTRL-C to abort.
failed                                                                          

UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found
to be incompatible with the existing python installation in your environment:

Specifications:

- orekit -> python=3.8
  - orekit -> python[version='2.7.*|3.5.*|3.6.*|>=2.7,<2.8.0a0|>=3.8,<3.9.0a0|>=3.7,<3.8.0a0|>=3.6,<3.7.0a0|>=3.5,<3.6.0a0']

Your python: python=3.9

If python is on the left-most side of the chain, that's the version you've asked for.
When python appears to the right, that indicates that the thing on the left is somehow
not available for the python version you are constrained to. Note that conda will not
change your python version to a different minor version unless you explicitly specify
that.

The following specifications were found to be incompatible with your system:

- feature:/linux-64::__glibc==2.35=0
  - feature:|@/linux-64::__glibc==2.35=0
  - orekit -> libgcc-ng[version='>=7.3.0'] -> __glibc[version='>=2.17']

Your installed version is: 2.35

I also downloaded the files from conda, and whenever running the command I get the following result:

conda install ./Downloads/orekit-11.3.2-py38h8dc9893_0.conda 
Preparing transaction: done
Verifying transaction: done
Executing transaction: done
Retrieving notices: ...working... done

And nothing happens. What could I do in order to solve this issue?

Thank you very much for your time,
Razvan

Hi Razvan,t

Not sure, maybe there are some old dependencies that is locking some of your libraries.

Try to create a fresh conda environment:

conda create -n oretest orekit python=3.8

or whatever python version you want. Works on my machine… :slight_smile:

Regards

Hello, Petrus

Indeed it was my mistake. I succeeded to install the orekit python wrapper. Thank you very much for your advice!

All the best,
Razvan

Hi @petrus.hyvonen,

I recently put my hands on a Mac so I’d be also interested if you worked out the conda/mamba install from forge for Orekit 11.3.X on Python >=3.10.

Cheers,
Romain.

1 Like

Hi @Serrof ,

I have not got the mac version to work unfortionately. Haven’t had time to spend much on it but it is related to how conda builds the packages for mac, they are cross compiled, which I think works in first step, but then when JCC builds the code, one needs to get JCC to cross compile as well for the wrapper code which requires some investigation how to do it. Likely one needs first to separate the mac cross compile and arm cross compile as special cases in the setup script and then figure out the compiler and linker settings to get it to work…

Just as a note, I did have a chance to access to a x86 mac and the orekit conda package does indeed build locally fine on osx x86 (tested python 3.10)

To do this:

git clone https://github.com/conda-forge/orekit-feedstock.git
cd orekit-feedstock
conda build recipe
conda install orekit --use-local

Is there a pure (micro)mamba equivalent?
Edit: I’m trying boa but the build does nothing

Cheers,
Romain.

Yes, lower down on the page: GitHub - conda-forge/miniforge: A conda-forge distribution.

Hi again,

I’m using conda in the end. However I get a conflict basically saying that the install doesn’t work for Python 3.11
Is that by design or have I done things wrong?

Cheers,
Romain.

Hi Romain,

Not sure I follow completely. For osx x86 there are no conda packages above version 3.8 (files are at: Files :: Anaconda.org). However this seems to be due to some issue at the CI pipeline, so it is possible to locally build and install (I think) from the orekit-feedstock git. GitHub - conda-forge/orekit-feedstock: A conda-smithy repository for orekit.

For arm64 (osx M1/M2) there are packages and I think it should install? (but havent’ got a mac to test with).

Which platform do you have?

Sorry Petrus I got confused. I thought that I could manually install with osx-64 for Python>=3.9

@Serrof, sorry for the confusion - yes I think you can install it on osx-x64 for higher versions if you download the orekit-feedstock and build it locally by the process described in Orekit Python Wrapper 11.3.2 released - #7 by petrus.hyvonen

was it this one that didn’t work?