Python orekit wrapper v9.3.1 available

Hi,

The orekit python wrapper for orekit 9.3.1 is now available on the code repo as well as build pre-made conda packages for most platforms.

The updated version is based on the release version of orekit 9.3.1 with its GPS week rollover fix.

In addition there are a number of python related fixes in this version:

• It’s based on JCC 3.5 that includes a minor fix related to Python 3.7 and some IDE’s
  • Includes bug fix in PythonOrekitStepHandler
  • Included python test case for InterSatDirectViewDetector, OrekitStepHandler

A large number of python-extension classes is included, basically for all external usable interfaces and abstract classes in orekit. All such wrapping classes without a test case shall be considered experimental.

For documentation particular for the python aspects, I recommend looking at the test cases.

As previously, the recommended installation method is the conda packages from conda forge:

Best Regards
/Petrus

0 Likes

Petrus,
I used conda to install the latest wrapper but running my test program in Spyder I get:
runfile(‘C:/Crumpton/Python_Orekit/pyOrekitTest.py’, wdir=‘C:/Crumpton/Python_Orekit’)
Traceback (most recent call last):

File “”, line 1, in
runfile(‘C:/Crumpton/Python_Orekit/pyOrekitTest.py’, wdir=‘C:/Crumpton/Python_Orekit’)

File “C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\spyder_kernels\customize\spydercustomize.py”, line 786, in runfile
execfile(filename, namespace)

File “C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\spyder_kernels\customize\spydercustomize.py”, line 110, in execfile
exec(compile(f.read(), filename, ‘exec’), namespace)

File “C:/Crumpton/Python_Orekit/pyOrekitTest.py”, line 9, in
import orekit

File “C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\orekit_init_.py”, line 3, in
from . import _orekit

ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

I verified that the files are in:
C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\orekit

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stephen Crumpton

0 Likes

Hi Stephen,

The very most likely cause is that you have not activated your conda environment, and thus your environment variables are not set.

Activation of environment can be done by:

• launching spyder (or other app) from the anaconda navigator interface
  • launching it from an activated prompt (either through anaconda prompt or through “conda activate env”)
  • pointing the spyder executable at a python that activate the environment automatically through the conda-wrapper, see installation instructions:
    https://gitlab.orekit.org/orekit-labs/python-wrapper/wikis/installation
  • or set them directly in your environment by hand, but this misses a bit of the point with the relocatable conda enviroment.

Best Regards
/Petrus

0 Likes

Thanks. That worked. I am at a new company and setting up a new laptop and I do not recall all the steps to get these things configured. (I am making note of them now!)

0 Likes