Is Rugged suited to whiskbroom sensors?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if Rugged/Orekit could seamlessly be used for the following whiskbroom sensor: scanning mechanism across track with arrays of detectors perpendicular to the satellite trajectory. It’s actually almost like a pushbroom but scanning across track around nadir in some sort of endless cycle.

In particular, how to handle the line datation? I though about bringing back the problem to a more regular pushbroom approach for an across track guided acquisition: use time-dependent LOS (from the rotating velocity of the mirror) and treat the columns of my acquisitions as lines but there is maybe a less convoluted way to see things.

I’m intersted with direct/inverse pointing operations on DEM.

Hope to read your opinions on this soon.

Kind regards,
P.

Hi @pyu
The current design is unfortunately quite specific to pushbroom sensors. We wanted to add different architecture (we wanted to start with matrix sensor, though), but did not find the time to implement it yet.
So I guess you will have to be creative here.
I think the current design do some computations in a monolithic way, and that it should be improved by splitting it in different blocks so very low level parts could be reused with different sensors, and these parts would be managed differently fo pushbroom/matrix/whiskbroom sensors. This would however need some design overhaul.

Hello @luc,

Thanks for your reply, I’ll see what I can do.

Kind regards,
P.