Interpolators plugged in Ephemeris class

Hi all,

Might be a silly question, but only Hermite interpolation and the brand new orbit blending seem to be plugged in the Ephemeris class. Why is that? Hipparchus has got other stuff such as cubic splines.

Cheers,
Romain

That’s a very good question for our interpolation expert @Vincent :slightly_smiling_face:

From my point of view, I think that any feature is welcome. If all of them have a common interface, we can use this common point in the Ephemeris class.
Now, I’m not aware of the performance of theses additional methods for orbit interpolation…

Best regards,
Bryan

1 Like

Hi @Serrof,

To implement the other interpolating methods available in Hipparchus, you need to create an Orekit class which extends the AbtractTimeInterpolator class.

“Why is that” could you ask ? Because HermiteInterpolator in Hipparchus uses a different interface from the other available interpolators such as AkimaSplineInterpolator.

I think the simplest thing to do would be to create a new class in Orekit dedicated to these interpolators which you could easily choose during construction.

Cheers,
Vincent

Thanks for the explanation Vincent.
I’d say it’s worth opening an issue yes?

Cheers,
Romain.

Yes that could be an easy-to-add feature for those interested in contributing to orekit !