Common interface for ForceModel and DSSTForceModel?

Hi all,

While comparing ForceModel and DSSTForceModel I noticed a lot of duplications and I was wondering if they shouldn’t be taken care of for version 12.

• ParameterDriver-related methods could go up in interface ParametersDriversProvider (this could also reduce duplications in DiscreteTroposphericModel and IonosphericModel.
  • init and get(Field)EventDetectors could be gathered in an intermediate interface CommonForceModel
    Regarding that last point, numerical force models return a Stream of event detectors while DSST force models return an array. Is there a reason for that or is it just historical?
    Also getFieldEventsDetectors has a default implementation in numerical force models but not in DSST force models. Again, is there a reason for that?

What do you think?

+1

I’m not a big fan of having an intermediate interface. In my option, an interface shall represent the purpose of its implementations and have as less as possible methods. With only get{Field}EventDetectors methods inside, I don’t understand that the purpose of CommonForceModel is providing common methods related to force model.
However, that’s a very good idea to put get{Field}EventDetectors in a separated interface which purpose is providing events detectors. For instance, EventsDetectorsProvider, or something else.

For the init methods, I prefer keep it in the two interfaces because I’m not 100% sure that the signature is identical between DSST and Numerical. Currently yes but not sure in the future.

Probably historical

There is no reason. It looks like a omission when time stamped parameter driver were added.

Bryan

I think I switched from array (or perhaps List) to Stream so callers are aware the return value is built on call (because streams are not reusable), but I guess the intent was too cryptic to be really understood.

Perhaps we should return an Iterable instead? Indeed, the only top level caller for this method is the constructor of the private inner class Main in NulericakOropagator, and it uses foreach on the Stream, which is also available on Iterable.

We should also notify in the javadoc that this method is not intended to be called several time, only once
by the numerical propagator, as it has a side effect of rebuilding the events detectors when called.

Hi everyone,

here’s my point of view after some thinking: there’s two main approaches to dynamical models. The first one is to quantify forces, as they appear in Newton’s second law. That’s what the current ForceModel does via the acceleration methods. Then, there’s how force models appear in propagators, which can be through a heavy layer of math on top of just physics, as with averaging techniques like DSST. And methods like init and get(Field)EventDetectors are for propagation purposes only. So actually Bryan’s proposal of a dedicated interface for that kind of stuff makes sense. But it could be called DynamicalModel or something rather than only referring to the detectors, of course it depends on what exactly gets moved there. Anyhow, thanks Maxime for dusting off bits of code and aspiring for better overall sense.

Cheers,
Romain.

Thanks for your answers guys.

I’ve opened issue 1167 related to this.

Although I understand and agree with your point I think the interface will only have the get(Field)EventDetectors methods. So for now I’m inclined to call it EventDetectorsProvider since DynamicalModel would be a bit too cryptic for the current usage.
But that can change in the future.

Actually, get{Field}EventDetectors default implementations use ParametersDriversProvider#getParametersDrivers() method so EventsDetectorsProvider will have to extend ParametersDriversProvider and both force models will extend EventsDetectorsProvider.
In the end, it will reduce to some sort of common interface… I’m not sure how we can do it differently

@MaximeJ

I think that TLE and BrouwerLyddanePropagator could also implement the ParameterDriverProvider interface.

Did you tried with different signatures of get{Field}EventDetectors method (i.e., one with parameter drivers and another one without)?
I’m not sure it’s possible, is just an idea

Bryan

+1

Not sure I understand this one @bcazabonne :sweat_smile:
Could you have a quick look at branch issue-1167 and interface EventDetectorsProvider and tell me how you would change it? (NB: this is a WIP branch)

Also, what about removing class AbstractForceModel and moving its methods up in ParameterDriversProvider (this one may be a bit too abrupt I admit)?

Sorry for the spam, but if we take that road I’ve also identified:

• FieldTLE, FieldTLEPropagator, TLEGradientConverter
  • AbstractAnalyticalGradientConverter
  • ObservedMeasurement
  • EstimationModifier
  • FieldAbstractAnalyticalPropagator
  • PropulsionModel, ManeuverTriggers
    That could implement ParameterDriversProvider:sweat:

I’ll check this evening!

1 Like

Thanks, @bcazabonne!
I’ve made the changes mentioned in my last post on branch issue-1167 if you want to check.

Hello,

I’m upping the thread as I’ve just realized something a bit weird regarding naming.

EventDetectorsProvider has a getEventDetectors method (using Stream) while Propagator has getEventsDetectors (using Collection).

Why the S in one case and not the other?

Cheers,
Romain

Most probably because many of us are not native English speakers :wink:

1 Like

So should we deprecate getEventsDetectors in Propagator and wrap a call there to a new method getEventDetectors (whilst keeping signatures unchanged)?

I think just opening an issue with a “Major Release” tag is sufficient?

Sure, I’ll do that