Orekit 9.3 is out, what's next?

Hi all,

As Orekit 9.3 is finally out, we can think about the next development cycle.

A lot of things have been done in the last years that could not be included into 9.3 due to incompatible changes, we had to wait for a major release to include them. I think it is now due time to do a major release, which would be 10.0. I also think it would be nice to have it published really fast, before the Orekit day which is scheduled for May 23rd (save the date!).

The changes currently pending are:

• propagation in non-inertial frames, without any central body
    (i.e mainly trajectories about Lagrange points)
  • DSST orbit determination
  • specialized propagators for all GNSS constellations
  • some API changes in models (magnetic field, tropospheric models)
  • changes with the events added by Evan and that requires also publishing a new version of Hipparchus

Other changes I would like to add are:

• a working phase measurement class with ambiguity resolution
    (the current one is only a non-working stub)
  • combined measurements (for example iono-free)
  • improving API for ionospheric models

Some other points that may be worth adding in 10.0 or could wait a future version are:

• a feature to automatically feed atmospheric models with solar activity
  • one line elements sets

What do you think about this?

I realized that my first message assumes that next version will be 10.0, but this should
also be taken as suggestion only.

The preliminary question should therefore be: do you think next release should be a major release or a minor release?

Hi,

For the first question, I think that next release should be a major release because many of the projected changes will cause incompatibilities and it is interesting to add them into Orekit, especially because some of these changes are well advanced in development.

For the second question, add the three first changes (ambiguity resolution, combined measurements and the new API for ionospheric models) to the changes currently pending can be sufficient to have an interesting 10.0 release.

Bryan

That’s a nice list of new features. I would like to include #389 which is a change to generic declarations to improve usability.

Yes, adding #389 would be nice.

I also think I forgot another major point: redesigning the data providers. There were some discussions in November 2017 on the old lists. Messages appeared on both the users list (see https://www.orekit.org/mailing-list-archives/orekit-users/msg00192.html) and on the developers mailing list (see https://www.orekit.org/mailing-list-archives/orekit-developers/msg00084.html).